Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Change of Plans

Sometimes it seems like just when your life is in order and things are going, (well what you think is perfect), that all of the sudden something flies in and changes everything. Last Thursday that happened to me and Johnny. I had been having pains throughout the day and started bleeding. Johnny came and picked me up from work and we headed to the hospital. We feared the worst, a miscarriage. ER's aren't the most comforting of places, especially when you're in a lot of pain and losing more blood than anyone should in a day. After a lot of poking and prodding,ultra sounds and waiting, our worst fears were confirmed. I was having a miscarriage, and had possibly been having it for a while. The news was devastating and surreal at the same time. I ended up having to have an emergency surgery to clean out everything to make sure I would heal properly and not lose anymore blood. After the surgery the doctor told us that had we waited a day longer to come to the hospital, I would have hemorrhaged to death. Very scary. This has been very hard, as anyone can imagine. I have so much compassion for anyone who has gone through this. Johnny and I are doing well. I really didn't have much physical pain after the surgery and these last few days, which has been a blessing. The good news is the doctor told us that during the surgery he could see that I was very healthy and that it was very likely that I could have as many babies as I wanted. This was just one of those fluke pregnancies where the chromosomes didn't come together properly and so the baby wasn't forming correctly. We are confident in the feelings of comfort and peace we've received that this wasn't the right time for us to start a family and that we will have children in the future. We have to wait 4 months for my body to heal and then we'll try again. We've been grateful for wonderful family and great friends who make a trial like this a lot easier to deal with. So, we are grateful for what we've learned and are looking forward to what the future will bring!

2 comments:

KatyBug said...

Kaylene and Johnny I am so sorry for your loss! If you need anything I hope you wont hesitate to ask. I hope you heal quickly and I wish you the best of luck! You're both in my prayers!

Val said...

We (Perry and me) love you guys so much! We feel so lucky to have as our friends. I really believe that only special people get those kinds of trials. Not sure the reason behind it but (imagine a shrug of the shoulders at the end of this unfinished sentence). We keep you in our thoughts and prayers!