Thursday, January 8, 2009

Grandma Bernard

Yesterday my grandma, Kerma Dean Bernard passed away. She has had a long struggle with alot of pain and anguish. We were grateful for her peaceful passing yesterday morning. I have alot of good memories with my grandma Bernard. More recently I was laughing because I was remembering the time when she was at the care center and she tried to set me up with one of the nurses there. Anyone who knows my grandma knows that she is a very stubborn and determined woman. So when I say she "tried" to set me up, I mean she arranged for him to come with my whole family to church one Easter Sunday. And I had never met him! I was pretty horrified, but I couldn't tell Grandma that because she was so excited and so sure that I could marry this kid. Lucky for me (not so lucky for him) he ended up having a family member pass away that weekend and wasn't able to come to church with us. Whew! Grandma taught me a lot of things as well. She taught me how to properly set the table, and every time I do it I think about how Grandma taught me how to put the knives on the right with the spoon(with the blade facing outward), and the fork on the left. I also remember when I was younger, one time I had a paper that I had written in school and I was showing it to her. She was appalled at my sloppy handwriting and told me that I should really work on my cursive and whenever I write anything it should always be neat and nice. I remember that my feelings were a little hurt at the time, but I also remembered from that day on, anytime I wrote anything, I was sure to make it look nice and neat. Grandma also taught me that the disposal "will not chop your hands off!" One time I was in the kitchen with my cousin Brooke and grandma slicing strawberries and putting the tops in the disposal. I didn't want to stick my finger in the drain to push anything down because I thought it would chop it off. So I grabbed a spoon and was pushing it down that way. Grandma saw and asked what I was doing. I told her and she said "Put that spoon down, just push the strawberry down in there. It will not chop your hands off!" That was a good lesson learned. :) Grandma's house reminded me of jellybeans, marbles, and Atari, it was always fun to drive up the big hill (on Callister) to go and visit Grandma and Grandpa Bernard. I will miss my grandma but I am so happy that she is with my grandpa again! I love you grams!!

No comments: