Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sew, a needle pulling thread!

So, a few weeks ago one of my best friends Val told me she was making dresses for her girls and asked if I wanted to make one for Lucy. Now mind you, I have pretty much never sewed before this (besides a pillowcase) and had only used my sewing machine that my mom got me for Christmas a few years ago that one time to make said pillow case. I made sure Val knew that she would be playing teacher and she easily agreed. I got really excited and had a good time at JoAnn's picking out fabric.
The raw materials.
Val was a great teacher. She pretty much made this pattern up and then helped me step-by-step through the whole thing (while she took care of her two girls and sewed her own dress. shes awesome.)  There were only a few "duh" moments for me and a mere five hours later. . .

The finished project!
The cute back. I really like the criss-cross.

 

Thanks again to Val for helping me with my first project! I was so excited to get home and try it on Lucy and really pleased with how it looked on her. (Mind you don't look too closely.) Lucy made me feel good too because she kept pulling it up and saying "dress" and looking real pleased. I think I've found a new hobby and I am now doubly excited to have double the girls to sew for come July.  Wahoo! Now I want to make a quilt for Lucy's soon-to-be toddler bed. (Yipes.)

p.s. This dress probably cost me $6. AWESOME.

4 comments:

Jennie and Dalin Nelson said...

that dress is amazing!! and so cute!! and probalby so much cheaper than one you would buy!! how fun! and i'm so excited for you guys!! 2 cute girls!:)

Unknown said...

i am impressed.

Melanie said...

So cute!

Lana said...

That is adorable! You are a natural.