Thursday, March 4, 2010

This time of year

(Johnny, me , Josh, Natalie)

Once a year my friend Natalie Marti wakes up and remembers a very traumatic event that occurred in her life, now 7 years ago, on that day. (ok, so she remembers it every day of her life really.) For the last few years we have been able to spend that day with her. Its become a tradition that I am loving. On Feb. 27, 2003 Natalie's 24 year old husband Shawn and 5 month old daughter Sage were killed in a car accident when all three were hit head-on by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the freeway. Natalie was in a coma for several weeks only to miraculously awake and deal with the news of losing her family. I CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE losing Johnny and my 5 month-old Lucy.Oh. my. gosh.
Now, 7 years later Natalie is thriving. She graduated this past winter with a bachelors in communication and speaks all over the state and in other states about the tragedy that drinking and driving can cause in someone's life. Check out the link above if you want to know more about that.(And you really do.) Josh, is the one who created that awesome website for her. Of coarse she misses Shawn and Sage everyday (like crazy), but she presses forward.
Last year Johnny and I went to Natalie's house and she brought out all her Shawn and Sage stuff. Pictures, videos, newspaper articles, and other things. We had dinner and spent most of the evening talking about the crash and everything that has happened because of it. Tears were shed and laughs were shared over good memories. This year she came to our place along with our friend Josh and we made homemade pizzas, sang around the piano and played games.


Each year I am reminded of my blessings, and each year I am grateful to have Natalie in my life as an example of faith, and perseverance. Love you Natty-poo!

p.s. Do we like my new haircut?

1 comment:

josh said...

I was so happy to have spent that night with you all. GREAT times. I have said it before that I truly think Shawn and Sage are enjoying watching us all grow closer. Love you guys!